Quick layered Pesto party dip

I can't take credit for this delicious and quick dip. I sampled this at an event this week and had to walk away from it before I ate too much. It was a big hit at the party and it took one taste to understand why. This is so good and so easy to make, I think it will be one of those pantry last minute party makers. I figured out how to make it by hovering over the platter. It's very simple and there are many other versions of this floating around the Internets. Since it's so easy to put together you can make as much as you need and adjust accordingly.

Layered Pesto Party Dip

1.75 oz. jar Pignoli nuts, toasted

2 blocks (8oz. each) cream cheese, softened (low-fat ok)

1 Tablespoon Italian herb seasoning

1/2 cup fresh Pesto (approx. 7oz. container)

4oz. jar (julienne style) sun-dried tomatoes, in oil, drained

crackers or crostini

Crackers or Crostini

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Begin by toasting the pine nuts. Spread the pine nuts on a cookie sheet and and bake for 3-4 minutes, stirring once, until lightly brown and fragrant. Keep an eye on them as they can burn.

While the pine nuts are toasting prepare the cream cheese. Soften by putting in a large microwave safe bowl for about 30-60 seconds. Gently whisk in the Italian herbs. Spread the softened cream cheese in the bottom of a glass pie plate or similar glass serving plate. Gently spread pesto over the cream cheese. (tip: putting plate in fridge for a few minutes helps firm up cream cheese.) Sprinkle with the sun-dried tomatoes. Top with toasted pine nuts. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. This can be made hours to a day before your event. Allow the dip to soften at room temperature before serving. Serve with assorted crackers and sliced bread.

I'm taking a wild guess here but I think this might go well with some nice red wine.

Comments

wealhtheow said…
YAY--we are having various relatives (some of whom I've never even met, THANKS DAD) over during the holidays--this will be a nice dish to pull out without any fuss. And so festive-looking, I bet.
Unknown said…
Bookmarked this for the next time I needed a good appetizer- I'm making it for my mom's group meeting Monday! Sounds yummy!!

Popular Posts