Blueberry tart




After spending a few hours picking fruit today I really wanted to make something from all of those blueberries. I found the recipe for the blueberry tart here on the Joy of Baking site. There have been other tarts made in the past all of which were terrible. I was so pleased with the results of this tart. The filling is berries, no cream, no cheese, just beautiful delicious fresh blueberries. It was easy to make and is something that can be made quickly. I love not having to roll out pastry when I'm pressed for time. At this point this will be my go to tart recipe. I made some adjustments to the recipe to spice it up a little to bring out that wonderful blueberry flavor. Actually I decided to go and make this tart filling as I would my blueberry pie because that's what I think would taste fantastic. By the way I'm glad I took that picture of the tart when I did, not the best looking picture but the tart was gone by morning! Nothing beats a great fruit tart for breakfast.

Tart Pastry:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled, and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 - 2 tablespoons ice water

In a small bowl, whisk the egg and vanilla, set aside. Put the flour, salt and sugar to your food processor and process until combined. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal (about 15 seconds). Gradually pour the egg and vanilla mixture in a steady stream, with the motor running through the feed tube. Process until the pastry just holds together when pinched. Do not process more than about 30 seconds. Add water, if necessary, 1 tablespoon at a time. Transfer the pastry to an 11 inch fluted tart pan, and press evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Cover and place in the refrigerator while you prepare the blueberry topping.

For the filling:
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 dash nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 425 degree F (220 degree C). Toss the ingredients together coating blueberries with mixture. Pour mixture into prepared chilled pastry. Place the tart pan on a large baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 425F (220 degree C), reduce temperature to 350F (180 degrees C) and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, gently stir the berries to mix in any flour remaining on berries. Top with 2 1/2 cups blueberries crown side up, pressing them into the hot berry jam. Make concentric circles with the blueberries, starting at the outside edge, working around evenly. Allow tart to cool before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

Comments

Popular Posts